“We didn’t think you’d make it!” Ryan said when he saw me, still covered in snow.
“I was super lucky,” I admitted.
I only realized just how lucky I was when I arrived home at the Alta Lodge at 6:45pm. Earlier that day the forecast was only calling for a few inches, so I descended the canyon at 1:00pm for a doctor’s appointment in the Salt Lake valley. But the snow gods smiled, and while I was in the valley it snowed almost a foot! As a result, the Utah Department of Transportation decided to close the road to Alta at 7:00pm. I did make it back–with a mere 15 minutes to spare–but I missed some great skiing today.
“So much fun!” is all that Jason, a local bartender, could say of the ski day.
With 21″ of beautiful powder in the last 24 hours, I believe him.
Other rave reviews of the ski day heard around the lodge include:
- “Four runs on Wildcat, first tracks, no problem.” -Ryan, Front Desk
- “So sick today!” -Steve, Cook
- “We did 13 High Boy runs in a row; we started at noon and caught last chair.” -Paul, Baker
- “I skied really fast. It was hero pow.” -Brian, Dining Room
- “Sick, sick.” -Ben, Dining Room
Up to a foot more snow is forecasted for tonight, so the skiing tomorrow promises to be even better.
THIS is an Alta winter. Stay tuned for more pow updates.
Comment on this post